- This event has passed.
REDspace AR App Development Workshop
Thursday, March 1st, 2018 @ 5:30 pm – 7:30 pmFree
Here is a link to the presentation PowerPoint slides: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19vsaqmDAiUrVVHYjWYmmKJxJxHMuRNMI.
In preparation for the upcoming AR Hackathon, this workshop will go over the basics of creating an AR application in both native iOS and Unity.We will go over the foundation of what ARKit is and how it works, as well as going step by step through an example application with iOS and Unity at the same time.
This workshop requires that you bring your own supported devices to participate, though if you are without the required hardware you are more than welcome to attend and listen. While Unity is cross platform, it will still require an iOS device for testing.
Before the workshop, please feel free to go over some of the provided resources to familiarize yourself with ARKit – though the videos and Apple documentation are specific to iOS development, the Unity implementation is very similar.
– Xcode 9.0 requires a Mac running macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later.
Supported iOS Device
– iPhone SE
– iPhone 6s and 6s Plus
– iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
– iPhone 8 and 8 Plus
– iPhone X
– Any iPad Pro
– 2017 9.7-inch iPad
Lightning Cable for transferring app binaries from Mac to iOS device.
For students that want to develop using Unity:
– Unity v5.6.2+ (preferably the latest version)
– Unity-ARKit-Plugin: https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/unity-arkit-plugin
- Introducing ARKit at WWDC 2017: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2017/602/
- Building Your First AR Experience Sample: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/arkit/building_your_first_ar_experience
- Handling 3D Interaction and UI Controls in Augmented Reality Sample: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/arkit/handling_3d_interaction_and_ui_controls_in_augmented_reality
- Using the Unity ARKit Plugin: https://mobile-ar.reality.news/how-to/arkit-101-using-unity-arkit-plugin-create-apps-for-iphone-ipad-0178022/
A Dalhousie FCS grad, Alex now works as a Mobile iOS Developer at REDspace Inc. He has experience in a variety of technologies and platforms, from iOS, Android and Web applications to server-side services, along with work done in AR, Machine Learning, and Natural Language Processing. While at REDspace, Alex has worked on apps for MTV and Turner.